In 1896 the three Nicolas Brothers started a
twenty-four block community and named it
People taking a beach drive down Manasota Key, should note the rescued THE HERITAGE (1902), 6660 Manasota Key Road, an old beach house, built as "Palm Ridge" by master carpenter Carl Johanansen. Later the house was a nudist colony and the home of author Ruth Swayze.
Another side trip off Old Englewood Road west on Stewart would lead to LEMON BAY PARK (1992), 570 Bay Park, Sarasota County's newest nature complex.
The original center of Old Englewood is the
corner of Old Englewood Road and Dearborn Street, where you spot the RICKARD'S
GUEST HOUSE (1896), 2 Old Englewood Road, once the winter home for Ohio
State professor Edward Sommermeir and later Amy Jergens of the Jergens Lotion
family. At the foot of Old
RICHARD’S GUEST HOUSE
To the north along the Bay is the SITE
OF THE ENGLEWOOD SAW MILL (1898), end of
East of Old Englewood at 321 Cedar and Yale is the LEMON BAY GARDEN CLUB. At Coconut and Maple is the unusual Prairie Style LEMON BAY WOMEN'S CLUB, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright pupil Clare Hosmer.
South of Dearborn at Winson
and Green is the OLD METHODIST CHURCH, restored by the
Lemon Bay Historical Society. South of Magnolia is the INDIAN MOUND PARK,
with a small mound well marked for vegetation.
South of FL 775, on the right, is the LEMON BAY CEMETERY, somewhat barren, but site of the pink tombstone of Emile Gauguin, son of the French painter, and the wonderful boat grave of fishing pioneer H. H. Bill Ainger.
Before crossing the bridge to Englewood City
Beach, one might want to drive along New Point Comfort Road, site of old
cottages and the former BASS BIOLOGICAL
LAB. Crossing the TOM
ADAMS BRIDGE (1964), one should turn left to notice the huge, white CHADWICK BEACH PAVILION
(1927), once the focal point of Steve Chadwick's cottage colony. Head southward
on Gulf and you'll end at a deserted beach park that ends at
CAPTAIN'S CLUB at